Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Overplaying Ace/Rag Hands

I have been playing online poker over four years. I have seen many things at the tables online, but nothing has gotten my brain cells working more then what I have seen over the past few months. I'm sure it has always been there, but it seems to be more noticeable the more I think about it or let it dig at me.

What could have Sharon in such an uproar? Well, allow me to tell you my friends. It is the dreaded Ace/rag.

Why does this have me scratching my heading thinking "WTF"?

Maybe because I am seeing it everywhere and from numerous players as well as on numerous sites. Not just the occassional donkey that you would expect it from, but all kinds of players, including players I would consider strong opponents.

What is it about the Arag that people just can not seem to let go? Why do they feel they have to play these crap hands over and over again?

I thought maybe it was the fact that it seem that Aces hit over 50% of the time online (at least it seems that high but believe it is more like 40% in reality). Even so, do they honestly think it is going to hold up against a better Ace?

Folks, I am not talking about the people that limp in with them. That I can excuse. I can even over look calling a dreaded minimum raise (my next rant & rave post). But how do these people think that calling a 3X or higher raise with an Arag is a smart play?

What do I mean by rag? That would consider on position, blinds, raise, etc. But for argument sake I would consider anything less then A10 an Arag, especially if they are not sooted.

What kills me is the fact that a players are willing to risk a good portion, if not all, of their chips just because they have an Ace in their hands, regardless what the other card it. Even if your Ace hits you are now playing with one card in your hand instead of two &/or you are relying on this rag to beat out someone else that is going for that Ace.

Are people really that inexperienced? I have to assume it is that when they play like this.

No comments: